Salacgriva Region in Latvia is known as a GREEN REGION, where the use of the alternative energy to produce electricity and thermal energy dates back as far back as 1994.
STATEMENT ON GREEN REGION
was approved unanimously by the members of the town council of Salacgriva Region during the session of 21st of July 2010. No. 419 (Minutes No. 11, 33§)
The statement was created with the aim to involve all the interest groups of the entire Salacgriva Region, to encourage and promote a healthy, economical, environmentally friendly and human oriented lifestyle as well as sustainable economic activity.
The Advisory Council of Entrepreneurs of Salacgriva town council accepted the formerly approved statement on Salacgriva as a Green Region during its session on 14th of September. The associations, as well as other legal entities were asked to accept this document. The supporters were asked to sign a special certificate that had been printed on Ligatne office paper produced using environmentally friendly technologies - processing white and light scrap paper. It is produced in a neutral environment without the use of optical brighteners and chlorine-containing chemicals.
Statement on Green Region of Salacgriva Town Council
On accepting the statement of the GREEN REGION we hereby undertake:
1. to promote "GREEN" thinking;
2. to provide maintenance of sustainable and healthy urban environment, elaborating and implementing the plans of the environmental policy;
3. to ensure appropriate management of specially protected natural objects;
4. to provide the inhabitants with drinking water of high quality, to provide collection and treatment of wastewater;
5. to provide comfortable beaches in accordance with the requirements of Blue Flag;
6. to sort household waste;
7. to promote Green Public Procurement – the wider inclusion of the environmental requirements into the procurement procedures of local government;
8. to create an informative section on the website with the information on possible solutions for ecological technology, environmental issues, to exchange experience and practical advice;
9. to promote the use of healthy and environmentally friendly products;
10. to promote the use of environmentally friendly and efficient energy;
11. to promote the use of the green transport (bicycles and water vehicles) by establishing the infrastructure and facilities necessary for their development;
12. to promote development of the environment-friendly tourism;
13. to support environmental education, promoting learning science at schools;
14. to involve the residents of the region into the campaigns for the protection of the environment – into the environmental education campaigns and cleaning of the everyday environment.
By implementing the goals set by the statement and by elaborating the development strategies, programmes and other documents, we hereby undertake to keep to the principles of common sense, not to set the complex bureaucratic conditions, but to provide each inhabitant of the region with simple, available, vital and comprehensible idea or an action plan, where each and every person can participate and can perceive the region as a place where he/she belongs to, whilst implementing the ideas.
Dagnis Straubergs the Mayor of the Salacgriva Region
Aigars Kalnins the chairman of the Advisory Council of Entrepreneurs and Dagnis Straubergs the Mayor of Salacgriva Region signed the statement of the GREEN REGION on November 16 during the ordinary session.
The Mayor of Salacgriva Region presented the mutually the signed certificate to the Advisory Council of Entrepreneurs after signing the Declaration. The certificate had been printed on Ligatne office paper, produced using environmentally friendly technologies - processing white and light scrap paper. It is produced in a neutral environment without the use of optical brighteners and chlorine-containing chemicals.